In the inaugural Student Media Poll, including voters from all FBS conferences, Alabama was selected as the No. 1 college football team in the nation.
The Crimson Tide led the preseason poll, securing 52 first place votes, followed by Clemson in second with nine first place votes.
The SEC led conferences with six teams in the Top 25, including two of the top five. The Big Ten was second with five teams, followed by the Pac 12 with four.
The 100+ student media members from across the U.S. also selected their College Football Playoff favorites. Voters selected a top four, champion and runner-up of the playoff, with a point system used to determine seeds and results.
Voters chose Alabama to repeat as champion, defeating Oklahoma this January at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Playoff Game 1: #1 Alabama defeats #4 Ohio State
Playoff Game #2: #3 Oklahoma defeats #2 Clemson
Championship Game: #1 Alabama defeats #3 Oklahoma
This year’s College Football Playoff Semifinal games will take place at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida, and the Cotton Bowl in Arlington, Texas, on Dec. 31, 2021. The championship game will take place Jan. 10, 2022, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Week 7: Georgia, Cincinnati hold top two, Texas schools rise
- Week 6: Alabama drops, Georgia’s No. 1 and 3 teams receive first place votes
- Week 5: 5 teams drop out of SMP after volatile week of college football
- Week 4: Arkansas makes big move, 3 new teams enter poll after chaotic week
- Student Media Poll announces men’s and women’s basketball polls